East Coast Homesick

Friday, July 15, 2005

Missing East Coast Summers?

So the Fourth of July just passed and me without my annual lobster fix and no relief in sight. A hardcore foodie I know who just returned from New Hampshire where he got more than his share of lobster would say, "you live in the Bay Area, eat what's local." Of course he's right. At the same time, if we all followed this advice we would never be able to have truffles or Italian prosciutto or any of the world's bounty that greets us at the best markets. A conundrum worth pondering over a cold drink this afternoon.

Speaking of cold drinks, or really of hot weather, I was recently hit with pangs of nostalgia for the "Lazy hazy days of summer" that I grew up with in the Hudson Valley and in Manhattan. I remember the sounds of the crickets at night and the fireflies and the cool air that followed a whoever thunderstorm. I was just thinking of how nice it was when it was really hot and everything kind of slowed down and you just paced yourself. Well what I failed to recall were the days wearing a wool suit on the subway which was so blazing hot that it's a wonder more people don't faint. And the nights when you were just damp in bed in your own sweat (we rarely used air conditioning). We hated the heat. Why would I miss it?

Luckily I came to my senses and have been enjoying these Bay Area warm summer days and nice cool nights. Good sleeping weather. Who needs air conditioning?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home